Old 25-08-2004, 03:25 AM
K Barrett

Name one orchid that doesn't want at least a 10 degree change in day/night
temps in order to flower.

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
First of all, not all plants benefit from a day-night temperature drop, so
depending on what you're growing, it might not be an issue. The same is
true of high light levels, but if you're sure about that, move them
gradually into higher light, or you could be setting them up for

significant
damage.

Having said that, probably the best way to keep critters at bay - short of
an enclosure - is the spray periodically with neem oil. It is an
"anti-feedant" akin to a true repellant - it tastes bad to bugs.

However, if your plants are near a window, leaving it open might be
sufficient. (I'm guessing you have screens, of course.)

.
"HFX guy" wrote in message
Hi All,
So as a Newbie Orchid Enthusiast I have many questions. One of the ones
that keeps on bothering me relates to varying the temperature at night

for
the orchids. I am tempted to moving all of the orchids outdoors so that
they get the maximum difference in temperature between night and day and

not
to mention maximal light. But my biggest concern are the bugs that are

out
there. How does one go about keeping the bugs (and birds - I have way

too
many "visitors" on my balcony) away from your plants? Any suggestions

will
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Horace