Old 25-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Des Higgins" wrote in message

[snip]

Bad means making a mess of other species which are native or

poisoning the
kids.

That is an untenable generalisation. South Africa imported, from
Australia, the insect Cactoblastus cactorum in order to destroy

large
areas of prickly pear in the Little Karoo, thereby making hundreds

of
thousands of acres available for grazing land.

So what are you saying here, Franz - I don't quite understand your

gist.
SA imported and alien to destroy another alien to create grazing

land,
which may or may not be the natural vegetation for the area .

I was under the impression that the prickly pears were indigenous.
Perhaps I am wrong about that.
If so, my point becomes rather weak.
On your final point: I have no objection to humans cultivating useful
plants, indigenous or otherwise.

Franz