Old 25-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Franz Heymann

"Gaby Chaudry" wrote in message
Helen,

Recently I saw a programme about whether or not plants have

feelings -
some
said "of course they don't" and there were others who said they

were sure
they did. What do you think?

I only discovered this thread today, so I'm a bit late in

answering....

O.K. My Anthurium didn't bloom since last autumn. On Monday I bought

an
Alocasia sanderiana and showed it to my Anthurium saying: "Look, how
beautiful this plant is! But you, you only produce green leaves over

and
over, but no flower. What is wrong with you?"
Believe it or not: a small inflorescence is showing up since

Wednesday!

A friend of mine told me that she had a plant which didn't want to

bloom,
neither. She shouted at the plant: "If you don't start blooming till

the end
of the week, I will throw you away!". Guess what happened? No, she

didn't
have to throw it away!

You may say: this was just by chance. But I happened to see things

like
these often enough to assume that they are signs of feelings. Fear

or
perhaps even jealousy are motives I see in these reactions.

Now make a list of all the occasions in which you have spoken to q
plant after which it did not respond.
For each case you quote in which the plant responded, I will quote you
twenty in which the plant did not respond.

Franz