Old 25-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Crimson Castle" wrote:

I'm thinking of using my weeds as compost. But my gardener told me to forget
about it. He argues that its pointless placing the weeds into the compost
bin and then using them as mulch (in three months time or so) because the
seeds often don't die - and you end up seeding your garden with the darn
weed seeds.

Given that you have a black plastic bin, the bin should heat the seeds up
enough to kill them. Secondly, consider how much work we are talking about
here. Are the weeds you're gettign difficult to remove? If yes, then avoid
composting the seeds (or letting the plants seed). Weeds that don't have
seeds on should be fine to go into the compost.

THings that you really should NOT put into compost are thorny branches (the
thorns don't break down) and anything showing signs of fungal disease.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet