Old 25-08-2004, 04:51 PM
K Barrett

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:

Name one orchid that doesn't want at least a 10 degree change in

day/night
temps in order to flower.

Many phalaenopsis and most Maudiae type paphs will bloom without a
day/night differential. That's a start. I would agree that they
probably bloom better and more frequently if given the proper diurnal
range. I think this came up a while ago on another topic, but I will
paraphrase - many modern hybrids have had 'stupid' bred into them - at
least when it comes to responding to their normal environmental cues.

All that said, I don't know of many environments where there isn't
some sort of diurnal change in temperatures. Even in a house it is
usually a little cooler at night. It may not be 10 degrees cooler though.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Thanks Rob.