Old 26-08-2004, 12:07 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Pam - gardengal" in
news:a_1Xc.307736$a24.148015@attbi_s03:

Thanks. The latter was my question. I found one place out of
Atlanta that has a website (I haven't ordered anything from them, so
this is *not* an endorsement or review or criticism of the site):

http://passionflowerfarms.com

that lists two others:

Passiflora "Incense" -- which looks an awful lot like a regular
maypop. Passiflora caerulea "Blue Passion Flower" -- which it says is
"root hardy" to zone 6. I assume "root hardy" means that, like the
regular maypop, it dies back in the winter and re-emerges in the
spring.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...est+passiflora

Look for P. edulis (the edible passionfruit vine) as well. P. caerulea
should work well for you. Here in zone 8 it is mostly an evergreen
vine, but in colder climates it will suffer winter dieback. Plant in
protected location, preferrably with some reflected heat, to minimize
this.

pam - gardengal

edulis may (i'm not sure) survive most winters in san jose area (south
bay of san francsico), but frosts out worse farther north. not sure if
the yellow varities are any better.