Old 26-08-2004, 09:17 AM
David Hill

I use Cuprinol when I am treating benching, new timber for frames etc,and
they do a range with woodstain incorporated.
I have used other water based products which have a water repellent in them,
with quite good results.
The "sheds" and several builders merchants have own brands, and/or special
offers on products, many of which will do a good job.
You have to think that if you are going to treat your fence what is going to
happen to the side in your neighbours garden?
You should be doing that as well or you are wasting your time, and he/she
may not want something that could "burn" plants close to the fence on hot
weather when creosote can give off fumes, several years after treating.
My neighbour who is not a gardener but has several horses swears by old oil
thinned with Diesel oil.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries