Old 26-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Salty Thumb

(an eclectic garden) wrote in
om:

(Laur) wrote in message
om...
Dear fellow gardeners,
I have a small garden, and have had one every year for the past
couple of years. I've never had deer eat anything. One reason is
because I grow herbs in my garden, and deer don't like herbs. Also,
to keep bugs away from our tomato plants, I surround the perimeter of
the garden with marigolds. I hope that this helps.
Laurie

A friend of a friend swears that trolling wire streched around the
garden befuddles the deer through some effect of magnetism. He claims
that the deer walk up to the wire, startle, and walk away. Has anyone
heard of such a thing? I thought that I had heard (and tried) every
folk remedy but this is a new one!!

Deer netting works well but they can and do punch through.

Sally
http://www.aneclecticgarden.com

I don't rememeber every hearing about that one either. I doubt it is
magnetism but you never know. Supposedly certain lobsters can use the
earth's magnetic field to orient themselves, but it would probably take
more teslas (or whatever the unit is) than can be had from a simple non-
electrified wire.

Probably the deer just can't see or resolve the wire and get spooked.
Sort of like birds that never heard of glass and keep pecking at their
reflection.

Or maybe they do see it and are smart enough to think "I'm likely to
garrote myself if I need to run away, so I'll just stay away".