Old 26-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Spider

andrew224 wrote in message
m...
I have a small square flat garden that is always wet to walk on even
in summer time. The problem is worse in the bottom corner nearest to
the house. I have tried using a garden fork to get some air into the
soil but this has had little or no effect. Can anyone suggest
anything I may try to dry it out? (other than filling it with cement)

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Since the worst of the wet is near the house, you need to ensure that you
don't have a leak from the water services - drains, mains water leakage.
Neither are good news, but you could be paying for the latter. Have a word
with your neighbour nearest that corner: do they have a leak or soggy
ground? .. is there a local spring rising?

If the Water Board is involved, and because it's on your land, you will
probably have to pay.
If there's a rising natural spring, could you take advantage of it and start
a bog garden? The only other option is to lay drainage, and this could be
tricky if it is spring water - it may just bubble up somewhere else.

Laying concrete on permanently wet ground sounds an unlikely solution.
Would the concrete even set?!

Sorry if this doesn't sound very helpful, but it's difficult to quantify the
problem remotely. I think you need to do the investigative bit first, so
you understand exactly what you're trying to solve.

Spider