Old 26-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"wayne crimi" wrote:

I do not know the PH level, but I have some azaleas that are doing very
well. I also fertilized the area with an acid heavy fertilizer designed for
acid loving plants.

Miracid is a water soluable fertilizer only helps temporarily but hurts
in the long run since it is high in nitrogen. The best rhododendron
fertilizer is HollyTone and it should only be applied in the spring or
early summer.

The situation looked even worse this morning. I think I am too late no
matter what the problem is. :-(

If the plant does succumb, did it out and look at the roots. They may
have been strangling each other when out got the plant. There also my
be insect damage to the roots or root rot. Insects (weevils) would
girdle the roots while the root rot (phytophthora) would make them mushy.

The number one killer of rhododendrons is water. The roots develop root
rot.

Another thought, weed'n'feed or other weed killers will kill
rhododendrons.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman