Old 26-08-2004, 03:08 PM
S. M. Henning

(an eclectic garden) wrote:

A friend of a friend swears that trolling wire streched around the
garden befuddles the deer through some effect of magnetism. He claims
that the deer walk up to the wire, startle, and walk away. Has anyone
heard of such a thing? I thought that I had heard (and tried) every
folk remedy but this is a new one!!

It is not magnetism. A nylon rope is just as effective. Even a fence
lying on the ground will work. The deer are afraid they will get their
feet caught in it and not be able to escape. However, as with anything,
if the deer get hungry enough, fear is overcome by hunger.