Old 26-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Doug Kanter

.....and I can also clip fabric or dark-colored window screen to the chicken
wire to give lettuces some protection from the sun.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I don't know about sterilizing, but I've found the cold frame useful for
another purpose in summer. I remove the glass doors and replace with a
lightweight frame containing chicken wire. In the frame, I plant

low-growing
items like lettuces. The chicken wire protects them from feet, pets, and
other mishaps.

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
does anybody stick their seed starting pots / other garden paraphenalia

in
a minigreenhouse or cold frame during the summer to sterilize them?

Is it a dumb idea, waste of time or what? As it is, I don't bother
washing, but if I'm going to have a cold frame, i would if it might be
useful outside of winter anybody know what temperature plastics will

start
melting at? Cold frame will have real glass.