Old 26-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Mike & Karen

Default Compost Tumbler (R) - any good

I just got a bit of spam in my snail mail box that interested me - try a
Compost Tumbler (R) free for 30 days. Apparently the rotating drum will
make great compost in just 14 days.
Has anyone got one? Are they any good?

Currently I have a nice heap made from 4 pallets with a little hatch in
the bottom. It is a good heap this time of year - getting hot enough
for me to find ash in the middle, but turning it is difficult, and the
hatch design means I take from the edge not the middle (also the stuff
from on top falls down). So for every spade of compost I takeout I have
to shove a spade of compost mixed with still identifiable stuff back on top.

I was thinking with this I could get a load of stuff off my heap, 14
days before I want it, shave it in, turn it once a day and two weeks
later reap the rewards, but is is just advertising talk? Am I better
off waiting until the end of the season, covering my heap, starting a
mini winter heap and then in spring empty the big heap on to the garden
and the little heap in to the big on?

Mike