Old 26-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Gary Woods

"Franz Heymann" wrote:

I have been led to believe that household garbage can be composted as
fast as it is produced by worms, once you have a dynamic equilibrium
set up between the input and the output, with only a few weeks delay.
Or has that been hyped up too much?

That might better be termed "worm assisted composting." I have a bin in my
cellar, and all the vegetable trimmings, etc., as well as things like bean
hulls go into it. Works pretty well; a 2X3 X1foot deep plywood box treated
with polythene varnish can absorb anything I can throw in it.

In the warmer weather, yard and garden waste go into a couple of
conventional poorly managed heaps under some pine trees out of sight. Not
that, where I am, anybody would see them anyway.