Old 27-08-2004, 02:58 AM
Iris Cohen

There is a variety sold in my local nurseries distributed by a co. called
Fancilful. They in 4" pots. Some appear to be faster growing than others,
which gives me the impression that they may be different varieties althought
it isn't stated.

According to Bill Valavanis, the 'Shimpaku' available from the usual sources in
the US are all cutting grown from the same clone and tend to be uniform.
However, in Japan they may be from various stock plants (perhaps seedling
grown?)and there is likely to be more variation, although they are all labeled
'Shimpaku', actually 'Shinpaku.' Some choice collections may even have a
yamadori 'Shimpaku.' The Shimpakus from the Fanciful Company may be derived
from Japanese specimens. And as you can see from my 'Kishu Shimpaku,' labeling
is often careless. Iseli should know better! they could charge more for Kishu
than a regular Shimpaku.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."