Old 26-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Nedra Crow

Before you (Sky) start messing with the pH, please check to see what the KH
reading is.
If your KH reading is low... i.e. under 100 I would go ahead and add baking
soda at 1 cup
per 1,000 gallons. Your pH will balance out at 8.4 so that is an added
benefit. You can get the
KH testing kit for about $8.00.

Nedra

"Roy" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:50:08 +0100, "SkyCatcher"
wrote:

===Hi,
===
===The pH is 8.5 - reading taken at 2pm & 6pm. It used to be OK & the

tap water
===is 7.
===
===How much white vinigar would be needed for 10,000litre pond to get

to 7?
===
===Sky.
===
==="SkyCatcher" wrote in message
=== Hi,
===
=== I've read that you can filter through peat to reduce pH. How do

you
===actually
=== do this & what type of peat do you use?
===
=== I can only think of the big bags you get at B&Q for your garden &

as this
===is
=== very fine how would you stop it just being washed into the pond?
===
=== Any help gladly received!
===
=== Sky
===
===
===

Fish and most plants are quite happy in 7.0 to 8.0...When it gets
above 8.0.... I would look for ammonia buildup or nitrogen out of
whack.......I would also take my reading for ph earlier like about 10
am, as in some parts of the country the sun is low and most plants
this time of year in the northern section or in shade may start to
reverse their cycle, so the ph is going to be higher later on in the
day or very early in the am.

I can't say how much vinegar it would take, but if you do go and play
with your ph add a small amount at a time, and wait for changes to
take effect, which cold be a few hours or longer. Nothing worse than
adding too much and getting it low and then have to play the chemical
balancing game which you usually wind up loosing anyhow and the fish
get stressed more with the ups and downs.......so add very little and
then check......

Just my 2 cents worth.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.