Old 27-08-2004, 01:30 AM
RichToyBox

The bog that you are building is designed to make a very acid semi-moist
environment for bog plants. The runoff would be acid, but the size of your
pond is such that the small amount of acid generated by the bog would not be
a problem.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Chester Deja" wrote in message
om...
We have a large 2 year old 55'x 35' pond. Our next project will be to
make a bog. The landscape is such that I can channel the rain flow
into a wet area and have it overflow into a stream which leads to my
pond. (stream will be run by 5000 gph pump). My pond has no fresh
source of water besides the rain and my garden hose when it gets low.

My concern is will the organic matierials I use to make the bog be
detrimental to the pond. I plan on going to Walmart and buying a
bunch of peat moss (on sale!) to use in the bog. I will also use sand
and maybe a little regular dirt. I am digging my bog trenchs and
filling it with liner with a few holes punched in it then filling it
with the bog dirt mix. Next year I will start planting the bog
plants.

I am sure there will not be a whole lot of overflow into the pond. If
we keep getting 2 inches of rain like last night that could cause
problems if the bog is putting out something it is not suppose to.
With that big of a pond I am not sure I have to worry too. The plants
in the pond are still getting established too as are the gold fish
(with their new babies) and millions of minnows.

Any dos/don't appreciated.

I have no photos up from this year but here are photos from last year
and the year befo

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ric...=/a680&.src=ph