Old 27-08-2004, 09:55 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JKS wrote:
As a rough calculation my 3 silver birch trees produce about 1 billion
seeds a year - although it seems much more. Is there any way of stopping
them producing seeds other than cutting them down? My neighbours keep
mention them!

Not as far as I know. Birches are a pain in the neck in several
ways, but are beloved of Town Planners and Garden Designers. There
are probably more in the south of England now than there have been
at any time since 7,500 BC.

It isn't just the seeds, but the flowers in spring, and the way that
their roots get everywhere. I like birches, but you can have too
much of a good thing, and we do :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.