Old 27-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Pat Kiewicz

york said:

anyone have a clue what this is?

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=alm...1654751&Pres=Y

I live in north east florida, and I believe this to be a myrtle oak.

Looks to be some type of gall. These are formed on the leaf by
either an insect (on oaks, usually small wasp, but also small flies)
or by mites. Leaf galls are mainly a cosmetic problem. Best treatment
is to clean up the leaves when they fall and destroy them.

(TWIG galls, on the other hand, can severely damage or even kill oak trees.)

(attributed to Don Marti)