Old 27-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Neil Jones

Default Raspberries - Please help

Nick Gray wrote:

So the $64,000 question, which method to use, when you aren't certain?
Personally I'd go with the summer fruiting variety pruning method. If
it is autumn fruiting then it will produce on new growth. If you
adopt the autumn fruiting pruning method and it is summer fruiting,
then you aren't going to get raspberries for another year.

Incidentally I noticed that the new wood on our summer-fruiting
raspberries has not started to ripen yet, so one can see which are new
vs old canes and cut out the old with confidence.

This time last year the wood had ripened signicantly and it would have
been much harder to decide what to cut out.

Neil