Old 27-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Carolyn LeCrone

Wow! Thanks for your input. I hadn't considered using cuttings. I have
printed your wonderful list!
"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message
Where can I find ideas to use with 9 year olds, in a classroom, to foster
the love of gardening? I have lots of ideas for Spring and Fall, but

winter
is a problem
Carolyn

1. Grow coleus or other indoor plants from cuttings.
2. Start sweet potato vines in water.
3. Start grapefruit seeds, avocado pits,
mangoes, any thing that is edible, save the seeds and see if they wil

grow.
Make a collection of tree seeds, and start them.
4. Grow a carrot top forest, from the top 2 inch end of a carrot. Just

put in
shallow water in a saucer
5. Learn about types of soils.
6. Learn about composting.
7. Grow wheat or other grasses in pots.
8. Do an experiment with potted bean plants by putting one in sunlight,

one in
the
dark, one in a cold place, one in warm to see what plants need to grow. Do

this
with seeds also to see what a seed neesd to germinate.
9. Force bulbs in containers.
10. Learn the parts of a plant, parts of a leaf, parts of a flower. A

Botany
book will give you the terms, and good diagrams. Use real plants as well

as
diagrams
11.Look at bark and twigs with dormant buds of winter trees and learn to
identify them by these characteristics. Force some spring blooming shrubs

like
forsythia into bloom.
12. Put a celery stalk in water that has been colored with dye. Watch the

color
rise up in the stalk. How did it do that?
13. Soak lima beans in water. Carefully remove the outer skin,(seed coat)

and
then separate the two parts of the seed (cotyledons). Inside you will find

the
tiny embryo plant complete with root, stem, and tiny leaves. Kids love

this
and find it truly amazing. I do too!

I may think of more..........
Emilie
NorCal

dark, one in a cold place, one in warm etc to discover what plants need to
grow.
9.
8. Force bulbs in a container.
9.