Old 28-08-2004, 02:41 AM
riley

Default soil test question

I had a basic soil test done by Penn State Univ. I live in west
central PA and the soil seems to be mostly clay. The results showed a
pH of 6.0 with low potash. PSU recommends a 0-46-0 fertilizer to
correct the low potash. I want to grow mainly native deciduous shrubs
and some small flowering trees. Once these are established I may look
into some perennial beds, a vegetable garden, roses or wherever my
horticultural interests takes me.
I am new to the gardening thing and would like some advice on how
best to apply the fertilizer. Would I just add it to the planting
holes or do I need to address the entire area? Should I do this at
planting time or do it now and allow it to work into the soil over
time? Any advice would be appreciated.
The test also noted that magnesium and especially calcium were above
optimum levels, but no recommendations were made regarding this.
Should this be a concern before I spend money on trees and shrubs?
Thanks in advance for any help.