Old 28-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Vox Humana

"Jack Kuddy" wrote in message
om...
We purchased a newly build house several months ago which came with a
new lawn. This summer, we have been plagued by weeds. I spray ortho
weed be gone over most of the lawn every three weeks or so which kills
the current batch of weeds, but lots of weeds still return a few weeks
later. I need a longer term solution. Any suggestions?
Thanks

There are two kinds of weeds: annuals and perennials. Annual weeds grow
from seeds that blow in, germinate, grow, produce more seeds, and die.
Perennial weeds are like annual weeds except that the plant does not die
after producing seeds. One way to address the annual weed problem is with a
pre-emergent herbicide or weed prevent. One of the most recognizable brands
is called Preen. Instead of using the Weed-B-Gone, I would recommend that
you put down an application of pre-emergent herbicide to prevent the weeds
from growing. You will still have to use a post-emergent herbicide to kill
weeds that exist now. In time, if you promote a healthy lawn, there won't
be any opportunity for weeds to grow. For that occasional weed, you can
remove it by hand or spot treat the area.