Old 29-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tan Thuan Seah" wrote in message

Thuan Seah

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Tan Thuan Seah" wrote in message
Hi all,

I am trying to propagating some rosemary using a branch a

pluck
off from
an adult plant. But for some reason, the leaves of the branch

starts
turning
black after I put it into the pot with my other plants. What

does
this
indicate? Is the soil in the pot too wet for the rosemary?

Was it a young piece of this year's growth, about 6 - 10 cm long

which
you tried tp propagate?

Yes, it's 6-10 cm long.

Did you trim it with a sharp knife to just below a node?

Hm.. not quite sure what trimming with a sharp knife is referring

to.

It is usual to use something very sharp, like a razor blade or a
Stanley knife to cut the cutting cleanly very close to a node. A node
is the slight swelling on the stem at the positions there leaf-stems
are attached to the main stem.

Did you trim off the lower leaves neatly?

Yes, the lower leaves are trimmed off.

Did you insert it in a small pot with a suitable cuttings compost?

I am inserting it in a small pot with potting mix. Not sure if it is
suitable for cuttings.

That would probably be OK. I often use sharp sand for rooting
cuttings. I also usually dip the cuttings into a corredtly diluted
fungicide before inserting them into the medium.

Did you keep it covered with something like an inverted jam jar to
prevent it from drying out too much?

Didnt cover it. Is that step crucial?

Yes, otherwise the cutting might lose so much moisture that it dies.

Franz