Old 29-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Ray

Kathy,

I suspect it's the light color and relative ease of removal that makes
critter observation "easier"...

Personally, I don't like the idea - too risky. Granted, the Taiwanese
orchid nurseries are kept meticulously clean, but neither they nor the
shipping containers are hermetically sealed, so the risk is still there.

..
"K Barrett" wrote in message
Really? Easier to see in sphagnum? I wouldn't think so, but hey. What

do
I know?

K Barrett

"Ray" wrote in message
Kathy,

If I remember some of my earlier reading correctly, the allowance is for
plants in sphagnum only. While that does not rule out the occasional

hitch
hiking bug, it does make them easier to see.

.
"K Barrett" wrote in message
Well, apart from the real threat that potting medium will hold bugs -

which
no doubt some sort of critter some day will come in hiding in the bark