Old 29-08-2004, 04:47 PM
K Barrett

Thanks Jerry

K Barrett

"Clanorchid" wrote in message
Hi Group;

Just our long winded 2 cents worth.

I had not heard that Taisuco had built facilities in the US

Yes and here in Fl, we also have several South Korean, one Dutch, one

English,
several Thai, two Venezulean, three Japanese, one Brazilian and several
Taiwanese companies. I'm sure there are several more that we just haven't

found
yet. Most are located in and around Apopoka, FL. (near Orlando) and

Homestead
(Miami). Several have been here over five years, and are now supplying

most of
the Big Box Orchid markets, through their own marketing companies or to
American middle men. Primary products are Phal. hybrids, Oncidium

Alliance,
Cattleya, and Dendrobium hybrids. Last year some of these companies

started
bringing in standard Cymbidiums. The Dutch, Japanese, Venezulean are new

state
of the art. The others are converted from long standing foliage growing
operations.

The above is for Florida, someone from California, Hawaii, and Arizona can
advise about the "new" facilities in those states. We are having enough

trouble
keeping up with the new ones in FL. LOL. All of these facilities have been

in
the USA for many years, the NY Times is evidently just now finding out

about
them.

Interestingly, the Hawaiian Growers are the most upset, but according to

the
2003 USDA Plant survey, Hawaii ranks 18th in potted orchid sales, well

below
Calif (#1) and FL (#2), but the Hawaiian import nearly 50% of the plants

they
use for potted plant sales. So they stand to lose a chunk of their income.

Actually, the orchid hobbyists are not the "force" behind the Orchid

explosion.
It is the floral, interior design businesses and the casual plant buyers

which
are feeding the "orchid craze" (Buy it and Throw it away mentality). The
hobbyist is just the beneficiary of this current fad.

As a sign of the times, two years ago Karen and I were visiting one of the
Korean establishments in Apopka. About ten acres under cover, with no less

than
100K pots in full bloom, with just as many more in bud. Incredible sight.

We
were back several months later, and many of the plants were still there,

albeit
out of bloom. This year, we noticed some of the Phal space had been

turned
over to lucky bamboo, Ti plants, and money trees. Plus the owner was out

on the
plant sale circuit, around Florida, peddling his Phals. (Two spikes 20+
flowers, 2 for $15.00 retail). The "boom" may be off the Phal. market.

IMHO,
the potted dendrobium market is the next to get "depressed", one of the
Japanese FL operations has two locations, with ten and seventeen acres

under
cover, currently producing so many plants, they cannot sell them all.

If I remember some of my earlier reading correctly, the allowance is for

plants in sphagnum only.

Currently orchid plants can be imported bare root, attached to or in tree

fern
fiber, or coconut fiber or husk.

I think the approval, which Taiwan, and now the Dutch, are seeking, covers
"approved growing media" as defined in 7CFR 319.37-8(e)(1) " Approved

growing
media are baked expanded clay pellets, coal cinder, coir, cork, glass

wool,
organic and inorganic fibers, peat, perlite, phenol formaldehyde, plastic
particles, polyethylene, polymer stabilized starch, polystyrene,

polyurethane,
rock wool, sphagnum moss,
ureaformaldehyde, stockosorb superabsorbent polymer, vermiculite, volcanic
rock, or zeolite, or any combination of these media. Growing
media must not have been previously used."
At least their initial petitions and subsequent USDA Final Environmental
Assessment in December, 2003 was for "approved media". The FEA did not
differinate between medias. Actually, I don't think the USDA can

differiate,
because of the previous approval of allowing other genera, such as gloxnia

and
begonias, in pots, with "approved media".

Just the tip of the iceberg

Jerry

a href="http://www.clanorchids.com/"Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals (C. L. A.
N.)/a http://www.clanorchids.com/
Orchid Species, Hybrids, Supplies, Photos and Books
Chat (941) 352-2483 Fax: (941) 351-2483 X 123 Order Only 1-800-351-CITE