Old 29-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Sacha

On 29/8/04 16:11, in article , "Melv"
wrote:

Hi as I asked yesterday I would like some suggestions and ideas of what can
be done to brighten my
garden up. Some of the
things that need to change are obvious but I really need some experienced
ideas. I have posted some images on the link below.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tracey....ite/garden.htm

Consider a retractable clothes line or a whirly one you can remove when not
using it. Either take up some of the paving to make e.g. a cross (+ or x)
or diamond shape and/or put some sort of water feature in, if you can get
electricity to it for a pump. Doesn't have to be central but it would
'lighten' it so much. Having lifted some of the paving, dig over and feed
the compacted soil underneath and incorporate some planting into that.
Alternatively, take up two or four slabs here and there within the paving
area and plant low growing things in the spaces you've created. Things like
thymes and sages are nice because when you brush against them, they smell
lovely.
Run wires across the fence or attach trellis to it and to the top of it and
plant a variety of climbers. Get some good looking pots and put a variety
of plants in those at intervals around the paving.
If you know someone who's clever with a paint brush, get them to do you a
tromple l'oeil scene on the back door and the shed door.
Disguise the dutsbin with a trellis shelter.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk