Old 29-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Keith Copi

"Ace" wrote in message
news:b%nYc.110756$TI1.69723@attbi_s52...
I bought 2 finch feeders, one in a redwood housing and one in a plastic
tube. It appears that the only birds that feed on them are sparrows. I
have not seen any Finches. What can I do to get rid of them feeding on

the
feeders and draw the finches? All the sparrows do is crap all over the
place. I removed my feeders for the time being to stop them from coming

my yard. I live in Springfield, Illinois.
Thanks for your opinions

Are there any finches around to attract? What do you mean by "finch
feeder". Is it one with small slits meant for use with niger or one with
larger openings for sunflower seeds? If it is one with larger opening,
there is no way to keep the sparrows off. If it is one with of the thistle
(niger) feeders with small slits, try hanging the feeder upside down. This
makes it more difficult for birds to extract the seeds. Finches generally
figure it out easily, sparrows generally don't.

Keith