Old 29-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Ace

Thanks for your replies.
I was trying to attract mainly the yellow ones. The Finch feeders I have are
ones I purchased from Menard's Home Center. One is a tall redwood narrow
house type and the other is a clear plastic tube type with round yellow
perches by each little slot.

"Paul Below" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:03:03 GMT, "Ace" wrote:

I bought 2 finch feeders, one in a redwood housing and one in a plastic
tube. It appears that the only birds that feed on them are sparrows. I
have not seen any Finches. What can I do to get rid of them feeding on

the
feeders and draw the finches? All the sparrows do is crap all over the
place. I removed my feeders for the time being to stop them from coming

my yard. I live in Springfield, Illinois.
Thanks for your opinions
.

What kind of finches are you trying to attract?

If goldfinches and pine siskins, get a thistle feeder that has
openings so small that other birds can't get the seeds out.

Be aware that pine siskins tend to be irruptive, and that gold finches
seem to go through phases -- for awhile they will eat nothing but
thistle, then for awhile they won't touch it and favor black oil
sunflower.