Old 30-08-2004, 01:07 AM
Beecrofter

Boron Elgar wrote in message . ..
I have a lovely Brown Turkey fig that is on my deck in a huge patio
pot. The pot is 20" high and 20" across. This is not something I want
to bring indoors during the winter. It would be the size of a small
fridge.

How do I best protect it? I have had several options recommended to
me, such as wrapping the entire pot and tree in burlap and filling the
loosely wrapped tree part with leaves. I know that the wonderful
Italian gardeners in this area sometimes take a yard-rooted fig and
bend it over into a shallow dug trench & bury it for the winter.
Obviously, that isn't an option with a tub plant, and so I turn to the
wisdom on this group.

I am in northern NJ in zone 7.

Boron

Everything involves manhandling the plant with no guarantees in a
severe winter. You could take a few cuttings and winter them as
houseplants.