Old 30-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Jim Elbrecht

"Ace" wrote:

Thanks for your replies.
I was trying to attract mainly the yellow ones. The Finch feeders I have are
ones I purchased from Menard's Home Center. One is a tall redwood narrow
house type and the other is a clear plastic tube type with round yellow
perches by each little slot.

If you just want to feed Goldfinches, then get the feeder designed
specifically for them. It is a tube feeder that feeds niger
thistle--- but the kicker is that the slots are *below* the perches.
It seems the Goldfinches are the only ones who can eat upside down.
I've had a couple birds perch on mine on occasion, but it is usually
filled up with Goldfinches.

I've really been blessed this year. I have 2 tube feeders [the
goldfinch feeder & another for small birds] and a slab of suet. 2
pairs of cardinals, a pair of [remarkably well behaved] blue jays, a
pair of Indigo Buntings, 6-7 mourning doves, and maybe a dozen
goldfinches visit my feeders. Also an assortment of woodpeckers,
chickadees & creepers. I've seen one grackle-- but no wrens or
sparrows. [A pair of Orioles showed up for the Mulberries when they
were ripe, but I couldn't interest them in oranges or grapes & they've
moved on.]

[no luck at all with the Hummingbird feeder, though-- but as soon as
the Bee Balm was open they showed up.]

Jim