Old 30-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Michael Persiano

Iris writes:

I think we have the same situation that I ran across with the elm. My
understanding is that there is a specific cultivar of Punica granatum called

'Nejikan' which is a standard, not dwarf, and naturally grows with a twisted
trunk. I just bought a dwarf Pomegranate, no twisted trunk I can see, but the
seller swore she has been growing these for years, they come from Korea, & the
Koreans always call them Nejikan. Can anyone enlighten me?

Iris:

Nejikan is a style of bonsai. The dwarf Punica, the Nana, will not naturally develop into a twisted trunk. However, it is always possible that you did not purchase a dwarf. );-)

The Punica in my personal collection is a dwarf. One the wonderful traits of working with the dwarf of the species is its ability to develop fine ramifications through the application of bonsai technique.

Enjoy the tree! I have enjoyed mine for the past 16 years.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob
Michael