Old 30-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
Leptobryum pyriforme particularly likes to grow on garden soils.
It is a seedless non-vascular plant and reproduces by growing

spores.
Although it's chiefly used to give a growth 'spurt' to oilseed rape,

the
actual method of spore propogation is rather unusual....
It is *always* recommended to leave this kind of moss in-situ rather
than habitually destroying it which is most gardeners instinctive

action.

I don't grow oilseed rape, so what good does it confer on my garden?
How would I recognise Leptobryum pyriforme?
Is it a particularly uncommon moss? I ask because unless I looked
badly, it is not listed in the book "Grasses, Ferns, Mosses & Lichens
of Great Britain and Ireland" by Roger Phillips.

Franz