Old 30-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Christopher Smith

Default Help! Corymbia Maculata (Spotted Gum) Advice Needed

I have a Corymbia Maculata (Spotted Gum) growing in my back yard, about
10m from the house. It was basically self sown (although I have no idea
where the seed may have come from) and is growing like topsy. It could
be quite stunning just where it is, but ... is it too close to the
house?

I have other trees nearby. There is an almond (not in the same league
as far as height is concerned), a palm of some description (about
8-10m) and a Chinese Elm (which is still quite young, but they can grow
to about 15m). So it is not standing by itself and has some protection
from the wind.

What are people thoughts? Is there any way of limiting itıs height? Is
it likely to drop branches? Is there a rule of thumb for how close a
tree may be grown to avoid problems?

I would hate to rip it out as they are one of my favourite trees, but
if it is going to be a problem I would rather take it out now and put
in something better suited.

Thanks in advance for any advice