Old 30-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Boron Elgar

From: Boron Elgar

I have a lovely Brown Turkey fig that is on my deck in a huge patio
pot. The pot is 20" high and 20" across. This is not something I want
to bring indoors during the winter. It would be the size of a small
fridge.

How do I best protect it? I

snip

I am in northern NJ in zone 7.

Boron

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:00:27 GMT, wrote:

you live in zone 7 and you're afraid your NORTHERN brown turkey will not
overwinter??????? excuse me...am i missing something here????
i live in nhz4a and "I" am the one who needs worry about overwintering this
tree, although i realise no matter what i do for it, it'll die down to
ground level and put out new shoots come the spring.

tell you what...you contact me come spring and if i am not right...i'll buy
you a brand new fig tree.

You own me a Mission and a Brown Turkey already. Both were nursery
graded and specifically grown for this climate. Both were protected
over winters milder than the zone rating. Both failed to emerge in
spring. Both were tub grown. We have a specialized situation her that
you seem unable to grasp.

By all means, if you wish to try a bit of googling for overwintering
the BTs with no damage, be my guest. You will see the difficulties
that can ensue.

As I mentioned, local gardeners often bury their trees but this is not
possible with mine. I realize that you probably think you know more
than the locals here, and you may amuse yourself and continue to do
so.

imho, if you still are having worries, take the little tree and situate it
as close to your house as possible, in the south west corner. you may tie
it to the railing or whatever you have in that corner to prevent it from
getting knocked over by the wind...but anything else???? no way!!!

I have no worries. The tree is not that little and has been a heavy
fruiter this year. The wind is not a problem, either, but the freeze
and thaw cycles are.

if you had posted your real email address without the b.s., i would have
contacted you privately as to spare you any embarrassment...but, hey!! i do
my best.

I do not post on usenet to make you happy, nor am I particularly
tolerant of top-posting fools who make sweeping, generalized claims
that cannot be backed up. I am an experienced gardner and your
insulting post is worthless.

Go play in the granite.

Boron