Old 30-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Victoria Clare

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Matthew Durkin wrote:

I also read about being able to sub them for blackberries in a
blackberry and apple pie. Perhaps you could try this. I was never sure
whether it meant the whole fruit or just the inside!

The inside. And it substitutes for blackberry only if you find
supermarket foods too strongly flavoured. Forget it.

But Re Jim W's post - they are extremely variable from seed, so they aren't
necessarily all flavourless. I'm told that somewhere in N. Devon there is
someone with one that makes very fine pies, and I can believe it.

My seed-sown plants first fruits aren't quite ripe yet, so I haven't yet
tried to see if I have been lucky...

(thought - I wonder if they have more flavour unripe, like some apples? I
shall experiment...)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill