Old 30-08-2004, 08:04 PM
jakell

It was "Cerumin's" closing comment on his original reply that prompted me to
reply, athought I did think it would go through the ng...another silly
mistake, but I will learn. He said the whole post had been deleted
"thankfully"-aren't learners allowed mistakes without being held up to
ridicule. Thanks to all who responded in a civilised manner.
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "jakell" contains these words:

please see enclosed reply I sent to "Cerumin", I didn't think it was bad
enough to earn his response, but if my manner of writting is not what is
expected at groups, I would appreciate any advice people can give.

You emailed to Chris;

I'm sorry that you think blocking a picture of a plant is so great.

Being
novice to computing I was unaware of the restrictions on getting

information
from what appeared to be a group on gardening, which afterall is a

mainly
visual experience. How stupid of me.

The users of this newsgroup do not make the rules which govern the
creation of Usenet groups.

When newsgroups are created, the proposers have to present a
democratically-agreed charter for that group which lays down the ground
rules of what the group is for, and whether it's a binary, or non-binary
group.This group, like many others, was set up as a non-binary one (no
pictures).Competent isps and newsreaders, comply with those Usenet
conventions by stripping binary posts sent to non-binary groups.
Reputable isps include "compliance with Usenet charters" in their
clients' conditions of service; in other words clients who repeatedly
abuse usenet, often get their account terminated by the isp.

That's one reason why it's important for you to understand how usenet

works.

How to present posts, what kind are allowed, and how to get the best
from the group, is all explained in an easy to understand welcome post
that appears every week, called abc for newcomers. (It isn't called that
to be patronising, but to make sure it appears at the top of alphabetic
post listings).

Having been given straight information that you had posted something
we can't see, it was even sillier of you to compound it by haranguing
Chris in private email as if it was his fault.

It's not his personal choice to reject your picture, any more than he
decided you need a licence for vehicle driving and should drive on the
left. This is just the normal accepted convention that keeps usenet
traffic flowing and works to everyone's benefit.

Janet.