Old 30-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Welsh" wrote in message
I'll confess I don't fully understand the *actual*
benefit as I know Franz is *still* waiting for an
explanation (:-) but as far as I can tell it is
related to the osmosis of chalk in some way.....

I have my doubts about that. The words "osmosis" and "chalk" don't go
together very well.

Although..............
A patch of moss growing in your lawn is an indicator
of one or more of the following:

~ your lawn needs fertilization.

I haven't got a lawn. My moss is on the open ground and on walls.
A local nurseryman told me so too, so I applied liquid fertiliser in
the affected regions. That caused the
moss to have a real field day.

~ the area has poor drainage.

No. My garden is well drained.

~ the soil is too acidic to support turf grasses.

It is most likely that this is my problem. My garden is in one of the
sandstone levels of the Pennines and is somewhat on the acid side, but
not violently so. The pH lies somewhere in the region of 6.

Before you get out the fertilizer and soil amendments,
consider starting a moss garden.
Moss gardens are fairly easy to grow,
unusual to look at and have become
increasingly popular in recent years.

No thanks! There are plants which are a great deal more interesting
to me than moss.

Franz