Old 30-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Sacha

On 30/8/04 7:26 am, in article ,
"Brian Watson" wrote:

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1gjakt7.1idz4f1z4bayoN%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

snip
Now in a greenhouse of course you 'could' allow a vine to 'grow' from
inside and then train 'out' in the summer (as is done with some grape
vines I believe. Thus the greenhouse would protect the parent plant in
winter.

All good food for thought.

That "feet in a greenhouse" idea is pretty much what I had in mind from the
previous advice given here.

The old fashioned way of growing vines used to be the other way about. The
roots were outside and the vine growth inside, so that the extra heat and
sun benefits ripened the fruit. I know that's how many grew vines in the
Channel Islands and south west of England but I don't know if it was
suitable for other parts of this country.
We grow Passiflorae antioquensis, exoniensis, mollissima, caponii,
quadrangularis in glasshouses and fruiting is rare and sparse when it does
occur.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk