Old 31-08-2004, 01:05 AM
CajunUSA

Default Maggots in my Compost Heap??? Help!

Hi! I have a compost heap that I keep in a tin garbage can. I don't
put meat or dairy products in it, just stuff like banana peels,
spoiled vegitables, bread crumbs, etc.

However, about a week ago, I noticed that the top of the compost heap
had _congealed_ into the consistency of very wet mud (even though it
hadn't rained in many days), and crawling around in this muck were
what appeared to be thousands of maggots. But, unlike most maggots
I've seen, these were huge . . . some being perhaps the width of a
pencil, but not as round, and about an inch long.

So, I'm wondering, what are these things? Regardless, should I just
leave them alone because, as disgusting as they look, they're
nonethelss making compost out of my garbage? Or should I kill them,
and, if so, how? Is there some organic solution I can put in the
compost, like vinegar or salt or whatever to get rid of them?

Yuck.

SKB