Old 31-08-2004, 07:49 AM
mich

"Dave Robinson" wrote in message
om...
I have just had a year old MTD lawn tractor replaced by my friendly
insurance company (thanks to the xxxx who stole it!) with a Mountfield
1436H. This, like my old MTD has a 36inch cut, and direct feed to a
rear collection box.

On first impression, the Mountfield looks good (simpler mechanism,
plastic not metal bodywork, quieter engine) BUT I find that I cannot
cut the grass at a setting lower than number 3 (out of 7) without the
feeder getting clogged up with cuttings. Is this normal, or has the
machine been set-up wrongly in some way? I have tried ensuring that
the lawn is bone dry, and have also cut the lawn down to the "3"
setting first.

Am I missing something, or has the insurance company supplied me with
a mower that is pants?

The old MTD (again 36inch cut, twin blade... model on sale in B&Q) had
no trouble with wet grass.... though I get the impression that the
output chute was a bit bigger than the Mountfield.

The only other thing I can think is that on seting 3, the output chute
makes a clean line into the collector bin, whereas lower settings (1
or 2) puts a bit of an extra slope onto the exit chute, so the grass
does not flow so well & hence clogs.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has the mower been set up
incorrectly? If not, is there a work-around?

My brother used to make them and quality control for them.
I'll ask him , see what he says. Back soon.

Dave R.