Old 31-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Dave Poole

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

This plant is usually described as being half hardy. Is it worth
trying to get it through the winter by keeping a cloche over it until
spring, or must I make sure of rooting some cuttings before it is too
late?

Franz, I've never thought of 'Bowles Mauve' as being hardy, nor (I'm
pretty sure) did E.A. Bowles after whom it was named. He is reputed
not to have liked it by the way and it was the followers of Gertude
Jekyll who ensured it's popularity.

I've grown it totally exposed and unprotected in the Midlands and only
lost it during the massive freeze of 1981/2, which even killed young
holly bushes. The trouble with this variety is that it will get too
big and woody after a couple of years and so is best replaced
regularly. Tip cuttings 3 - 4" long taken now will root quickly in
pure perlite and be ready for potting up in mid October. Overwinter
these frost free and plant out in late spring.

I am unsure as to whether a cloche provides protection only for the
top growth, or for the roots as well.
Who has experience of overwintering nearly hardy plants with the aid
of a cloche?

Unless you live in avery cold part of the country, you shouldn't need
to protect. If you are still worried, a thick mulch of bark around
the roots and an open sided cloche is all that it will need.

HTH

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.