Old 31-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Tracey

"Cat" wrote in message

"Tracey" wrote in message
Hi All. I hope you don't mind me asking the following question, but I
really don't know where else to ask. My fiance is planning on leaving

his
present employment (he's already a gardener) and setting up by himself,
doing garden maintenance, renovations, clearance, hedge reductions etc.

He
has done quite a bit of research, but doesn't know how much to charge -

he
doesn't want to go round under-cutting other established gardeners, but

then
doesn't want to charge too much. We thought perhaps £8-£10 per hour (we

are
in Midlands region), would be a reasonable charge. Any thoughts or

advice
on how we could find further help in deciding on costs would be very

much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tracey

In my experience as a consumer of such services in Ireland: he can charge
just about anything he pleases ;-)
Seriously, you could always ring up a number of local contractors and ask
them to quote you for a variety of jobs in your own garden. And/or rope

in
a few friends and relatives to do the same. That should give you a ball
park. Just a thought. Good luck!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Thanks Cath! I know my auntie's gardener (she's in Scarborough,
N.Yorkshire) charges £25 just for mowing her grass, and she doesn't have a
particularly big lawn, seems way over-priced to me. Will probably go with
ringing a few gardeners up round here and pretend I'm a prospective
customer!

Tracey