Old 31-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Roy

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:39:35 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Burgess
wrote:

===That rule is rubbish. 600 gallons is plenty for half a dozen koi and when
===they get large enough to be a problem you just rotate them for smaller ones.
===
===Not everyone has an acre of property to fit a 10,000 gallon pond
===
===10000 / 8 = 1250 cu ft
===
===15 x 15 x 5.5 feet
===

Lets see on an acre you could make a one acre pond and hold
approcimately 1.5 million gal of water if its only 4 feet deep or so
IIRC.

I have a friend that inherited 4 common goldfish when his father died.
They are so big they can not move in their typical gold fish type
bowl. He uses water straight from the tap, and changes it abaout once
a week. Only uses an airstone, no filter.........been like that for a
long long time. Can't say I agree with how they are, but his fish
appear healthy. I offered him the opportunity to put them in my pond
and his reply was just as soon as I get bored with them or they start
to die then you can have em........At the least it would be awfull
nice of him to give them a new home of even a 10 gal $29.00 Wal MArt
setup so they would have some fin room! Even the poor old Bettas sold
in a cup of water is IMHO not nice. The wifes Bettas each have a
filtered 5 gal home.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.