Old 31-08-2004, 10:47 PM
San Diego Joe

"Janet" wrote:

Roy goldfish are not koi. Goldfish will pretty much live, if not thrive in
what most would classify as sewer water. Koi on the other hand will not.
Janet in sunny Niagara Falls

Don't know if I can agree with you on that one Janet. I don't think the
survival rate of goldfish in sewer water would be any better or worse than
the Koi.

I think the issue is just a question of what works "in general." Roy is
right that he can have Koi in a 600 gallon pond. Is it optimal? No. Are the
fish comfortable? Maybe, depends on filtration, depth and lots of other
things. Also, what happens if filtration breaks down? This is where I think
the rule of thumb applies, if there is no outside action, how many Koi can
you have.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.