Old 31-08-2004, 08:53 PM
chris

"Tracey" wrote in message ...
Hi All. I hope you don't mind me asking the following question, but I
really don't know where else to ask. My fiance is planning on leaving his
present employment (he's already a gardener) and setting up by himself,
doing garden maintenance, renovations, clearance, hedge reductions etc. He
has done quite a bit of research, but doesn't know how much to charge - he
doesn't want to go round under-cutting other established gardeners, but then
doesn't want to charge too much. We thought perhaps £8-£10 per hour (we are
in Midlands region), would be a reasonable charge. Any thoughts or advice
on how we could find further help in deciding on costs would be very much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tracey

==================================

It is VERY hard work to start with but ALWAYS worth it.

I would suggest appraoching other gardening compaines and
subcontracting out to them on an as and when basis, essentially a
spare pare of hands.

Some would say winter is bad for the business but actually there is
always work to be done at any time of year.

Get skills you may lack such as some building and joinery, enough to
do good decking and stone patio work. This will allow you to offer a
wider range of services - more one stop shop. Patio work is also VERY
profitable, you can charge around £50 ish p/sqmtr for block paving
which is about £12 p/sqmtr for materials including sub base.

I "know a friend" who had 25s/mtr of lovely block paving done by a man
starting out for £900, he worked his boll#@Ks off and got it done in
two days. It was cash in hand and 30% cheaper than anyone else.

Cash in hand work is not recommended, it is uprofessional and
illegal...(WINK WINK know what I mean).

Get trade accounts from B&Q, and commercial nurseries, avoid paying
retail.

Build a photographic portfolio of before and after shots. Tweak a few
friends gardens to get stated, nothing major just enough to create
some initla images.

Go to Business Link or similar, after all its a business, learn the
ins-and- outs of business managment such as payroll, profit and loss,
business plans etc.

NEVER work at a loss unless you will gain MASSIVLEY in other ways.

Make a big A board to advertise your business and ensure it can be
seen by the nieghbours when your onsite, this method is industry
standard for paving and other diy companies.

Dont bother with a website. You will be highly localised at first.

Never carry stock, buy only when you need it.