Old 31-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:28 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

This plant is usually described as being half hardy. Is it worth
trying to get it through the winter by keeping a cloche over it until
spring, or must I make sure of rooting some cuttings before it is too
late?

Wallflowers in general get woody after a few years and go
downhill. Best to renew them from time to time with cuttings. I'd
say take a bunch of cuttings now, then in the spring decide
whether to plant them out or continue with your existing plant
another season.

I'm surprised to read that Bowles' Mauve is considered tender.
Live and learn.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada