Old 31-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 31 Aug 2004 06:03:16 -0700, Mark Fawcett wrote:

Anyone got any good tips for germinating tree peony seeds?

Plant them *now* in a pot and put it in an unheated coldframe for
the winter.

My impression (a weasel word which means I might be
hallucinating) is that peony seeds need winter chilling to
germinate. If you sow them too late in the fall, germination may
be delayed a year.

Moreover, if they go dry for very long, they may go into a
dormancy that takes years to break. I had some wild-collected
seeds of Peonia obovata, collected near Vladivostok, that took
five years to germinate.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada