Old 31-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
The current thread about disposing of garden soil set me thinking
abour some things I am being forced to change since having to give

up
driving due to deteriorating eyesitght.
I have been in the habit of taking used potting compost to my
allotment and dumping it there. I can't do that now. My garden is
so small I cannot add any more to the level!
If I seive out the old roots, (eg of sweet peas grown in a large

tub)
and add some slow release fertiliser or JI base mix, can I use it
again... for bulbs maybe?
What limitations would this present? After all, some plants stay in
the same compost in pots for some years, with a little topping up

and
liquid feeding.
Any thoughts?

Each spring I stir up the compost as best I can, remove the top
quarter or so for dumping in the garden, add a high potash fertiliser
and top up with new compost. I am happy with this regime.

Franz