Old 31-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Phil L

Pam Moore wrote:
:: The current thread about disposing of garden soil set me thinking
:: abour some things I am being forced to change since having to give
:: up driving due to deteriorating eyesitght.
:: I have been in the habit of taking used potting compost to my
:: allotment and dumping it there. I can't do that now. My garden
:: is so small I cannot add any more to the level!
:: If I seive out the old roots, (eg of sweet peas grown in a large
:: tub) and add some slow release fertiliser or JI base mix, can I
:: use it again... for bulbs maybe?
:: What limitations would this present? After all, some plants stay
:: in the same compost in pots for some years, with a little topping
:: up and liquid feeding.
:: Any thoughts?
::
:: Pam in Bristol

I can't see any problem with this, unless it gets some kind of disease...I
know tomatoes are susceptible to diseases which can carry over in the soil
year after year?[1]
I'm no expert but maybe a dose of jeyes fluid in midwinter would kill off
any disease, coupled with a good dose of fertiliser as you suggest would
have it as good as new.

[1]My dad always used the previous years tomato grobags for hanging baskets
and planters for the patio the following spring, with a little added soil
and some white stuff (I can't think what it was, but it was non organic and
was like vermiculite)...the flowers etc always did well provided they were
given fertiliser, which he did even if it was new potting compost anyway!